Monday, August 4, 2014

* REVIEW * - Carnage # 2 (The Story of Me) by Lesley Jones



Reviewer : Kaylene
Rating : 5 Stars



Carnage #2 is the follow-on book by Lesley Jones which was never meant to be written.  Carnage #1 was always meant to be a stand alone book and through pressure from her readers, Lesley Jones wrote this follow on in the Carnage series. 

I first read Carnage, as an advanced reader copy for Lesley Jones and I was wrapped. So much so I immediately stalked the author and have continued to do so.  Lesley Jones knows how to write a book. She knows how to draw you in and she knows how to keep you wrapped up in her stories so you cannot put them down.  She elicits raw emotion and that's very hard for me, as I never get that wrapped up in a story that I feel at all emotional.  The closest I have ever come to an emotional read is when I read dark romance stories, but Lesley’s story is a roller coaster ride of pure emotion and you cannot get off the roller coaster even days after you finish the book.  Once you have finished this book, the story is complete which is something I love in her books - absolutely nothing is left untold.

Okay, all that being said, now the review.  This book starts where book one finishes with Georgia a mess and life being extremely hard for her.  Of course, I will not really talk about the plot points as this will spoil this book, so I will just talk about the book as a whole.  The storyline was great, although there are a few cringeworthy moments that I didn't really like, but the story certainly didn't suffer because of them.  Being an Australian, I totally love Lesley’s writing style and I have loved working with Lesley on these books. It’s always hard to write a follow up book, when the first book was such a smash hit with everyone.  I am sure Lesley must have felt the pressure with regards to this, but this didn't show at all in the writing. 

Let me just say I loved Cam in book one, and of course Cam makes an appearance in book two as well, but without giving anything away, I just want to say  ... I will always be Team Cam.

So, what do I think about the ending of one of my favorite books of all time, Carnage.  Well, let me say it didn't let me down at all, I devoured it, I enjoyed it and it was a fabulous read and conclusion to this wonderful epic story.  I did feel like I was in Georgia’s head and shoes, which shows great writing skills.  I felt her pain, her happiness, and every other emotion she was feeling.   I also felt the pain of the other characters depicted in this book.  I cannot commend Lesley enough regarding her writing skills and the way she presents it to the reader. 

Okay, so I could go on and on, but I will end here with my final words.  Awesome story, Lesley Jones, Carnage 1 & 2 is definitely a five star plus read for me.



When your world, your life and all of your hopes and dreams for the future are ripped out from under you, how do you go on? 

Death without dying is not only the most painful kind of death, it's also the most painful kind of life and I don't know if I'm strong enough to live it. 

I spend my lonely days and nights trying to make sense of what my life has become. Do I have the strength to move forward into the light, or should I just let the darkness take me? 

I'm Georgia Rae Layton McCarthy and this is the story of me, just me.

I'm no longer a part of an us, it's just me.
Alone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment